Will ADLP improve the security of my file transfers?
Is it possible to stop users from accidentally leaking personal or sensitive information, or to prevent malware being sent from a trusted partner, without completely disrupting the business processes?
Adaptive Data Loss Prevention (ADLP) adds an additional layer of security to your MFT solution, detecting sensitive data, then carrying out a range of complex onward actions.
“ADLP can detect and modify the data, rather than just blocking the whole file,” explained Clearswift’s Pre-Sales Engineer Steve Jeffery, whose product integrates with Managed File Transfer solutions to scan data entering or leaving the business in automated workflows and ad hoc person-to-person file sharing.
“The Clearswift SECURE ICAP Gateway (SIG) integrates with the MFT ICAP interface to enable the content inspection. This detects certain data from key words or patterns – such as credit card numbers, personally identifiable data, healthcare details, or a more complex examination for Intellectual Property. The results of the inspection are then passed back to the MFT workflow, which will determine what happens next.”
Steve Jeffery, Pre-Sales Engineer at Clearswift
Onward actions might include:
- Returning the file to the original sender;
- Quarantining the file and sending an email alert so it can be manually reviewed;
- Redacting data, eg: replacing digits in credit card data with XXXX.
““It works in reverse too for unwanted data acquisition,” explained Steve. “We worked with a hotel to reject incoming credit card data, which customers sometimes emailed in. The technology detected the data, returned it with the data redacted, and directed the customer to a secure payment portal.”
Some other use cases include:
- Removing metadata in a document history. This is particularly useful for ad hoc person-to-person transfers, where a document has been updated multiple times. An updated proposal for a new customer, for example, may still contain data relating to a previous customer in the document history;
- The anti-malware component will remove macros in a document, which can contain malicious code.
Integrating your MFT with Adaptive Data Loss Prevention technology will secure the entire flow of data in and out of your business. It does this without halting business operations when something is detected. It supports compliance with the GDPR and other requirements.
Not all MFT products support this integration. If you would like to discuss whether yours does, please get in touch. You can contact us via the web form, or call 0333 123 1240.