How MFT workflow automation can drive businees improvements and Digital Transformation
This post looks at how secure data transfer solutions can address your workflow automation requirements. It includes a use-case demonstrating how a large-scale pharmacy with nearly 800 retail locations and 7000 employees streamlined operations, issuing over 70 million prescriptions each year. It is a guest blog post from Globalscape; a leading data transfer vendor working with Pro2col since 2010.
The reliability, efficiency, and security of a company’s IT infrastructure will impact upon its rate of growth and speed of response to changing markets. The management and flow of data is especially important – it affects compliance, Service Level Agreements, and the efficiency of daily business operations.
Homegrown file transfer processes can be slow, unreliable, and largely inefficient, especially when the volume of file transfer workflows vary. When accuracy and compliance is a priority, file transfer workflow automation has the power to enhance the overall operational efficiency and data transfer security for a company. It also reduces reliance on the only employee left who knows how to tweak the code of the homegrown solution!
Choosing a Managed File Transfer (MFT) solution is a great way to address your workflow automation requirements. MFT provides a secure and efficient IT infrastructure, helping your organisation manage complex, high-volume data transfer workflows and comply with government and industry standards. Some benefits include:
- Workflow automation is managed through a centralised platform, giving full control and operational visibility of all data transfer activity. This level of reporting is invaluable for compliance with regulation like the GDPR.
- You remove reliance on old operating systems, old scripting language or a dwindling knowledge base that can manage homegrown solutions within your organisaiton. You will be using a fully supported solution that is regularly updated to maintain security and compliance standards.
- MFT is scalable, meaning you can add additional modules as your business requirements grow. This future-proofs your solution.
This use-case from a large-scale pharmacy with nearly 800 retail locations and 7,000 employees, demonstrates how these benefits translate in practice.
Use case: A UK-based pharmacy
A UK-based retail pharmacy issuing over 70 million prescriptions each year was using two disparate file transfer systems during a time-sensitive business merger. The company wanted to simplify and better manage their automated and manual data transfers, especially those through their financial accounting systems.
This business successfully implemented Globalscape’s EFT Enterprise plus the additional Advanced Workflow Engine (AWE) and Auditing and Reporting Module (ARM). This simplified their complex and high volume file transfer workflows, whilst providing stringent security and compliance with relevant standards and legislation.
Some of the benefits realised by this business include:
- The improved file transfer system with automated workflows saved their IT department vast amounts of time and effort.
- Improved business processes, including a centrally controlled standard file archive and retention policy organised within clear and logical file and folder structures.
- This better and more organised process allowed IT support to quickly find tasks and activities involved in the data flows.
- The business streamlined their manual and automated processes, which eliminated the need for any human intervention or coding in various file transfer workflows. Consequently financial data transfers were more secure and at a reduced risk for payment fraud.
- Similarly, the business automated their auditing and reporting workflows through ARM, improving diagnostics. This gave greater visibility, allowing the IT department to fix existing problems, prevent future problems, and minimise vulnerabilities like failed data transfers, gaps in security, or data breach attempts.
You can find out more about how and why this business used MFT by downloading the full case-study.
Pro2col are Globalscape UK Master Partners, providing consultancy and professional services from demos, trials and licences, through to installations, training and support. Find out more about Globalscape EFT Enterprise and the supporting modules. This is the latest in a series of guest blogs from the leading vendors, demonstrating how a file transfer solution can benefit your business.
PGP is the industry standard for securing communications and a common feature of MFT. But it’s recently been at the centre of hacking fears. This guest blog post from Coviant Software CEO Greg Hoffer will alleviate any concerns relating to your Managed File Transfer (MFT) solution.
It was bound to happen one day: the OpenPGP Standard Key Server implementation has fallen victim to attack. When the Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) Keyserver system allows anyone to affix changes (“attestations”) to a given key –these never, ever get deleted. As a result, malicious attackers can “spam” a public key sitting on a key server, adding these attestations over and over again until the key itself becomes too unwieldy to use by some software. This is a clear security issue leading to a “denial of service” attack, rendering that public key unusable for encrypting information.
So how does this affect your MFT solution? It is has no negative impact at all. I have never experienced any customer that uses a KeyServer for OpenPGP key distribution. When creating a transaction to move files between a MFT customer and an external customer, partner, supplier, or vendor it is always the two sides of the file transfer that coordinate the exchange of public keys, either through email or a file transfer protocol like SFTP. Thus, since those public keys are not put onto a public Key Server, they will not have extraneous attestations attached to them, and both sides will be able to process the keys just fine.
Let’s all use this situation as a reminder to be very untrusting when dealing with the security of sensitive data, and not provide an infrastructure that allows anonymous, unregulated edits to information that is vital to secure communications.
Your MFT solution is a critical part of your infrastructure, with many business processes depending on it. Without regular maintenance and training, you are risking security and efficiency, and ultimately not getting the best value from your solution.
Our health check service reviews the performance of your software, checking your configuration, version, clean-up rules and more. Our technical consultants will produce and present a report advising on risks we have identified and remedial actions.
Call 0333 123 1240 or contact us online to book a health check today.